Friday, November 7, 2014

America

I have to start by saying I have a soft spot in my heart for America, when the Pledge of Allegiance is said, the anthem is sung, voting time comes around, it all bring a tear to my eye. As I watch the new at the gym, I sometimes have to fight back the tears, or the small groan from the bottom of my throat, as I hear national news. I love this amazing country we live in, I hope that we start standing up for it, we are the greatest country in the world, and I know people think that's rude that we say that, or they think America thinks we are better than others, and that its inappropriate to say, it's not! I tell my kids daily they are the best kids in the world, I want them to believe that for themselves. To try to achieve all that they are able to, and I don't think that diminishes the values of their friends. Just the same I don't think saying America is the greatest country in the world diminished the value of other countries.

On that note I do believe being born in this Country is a blessing, I have so many things that I could say were not blessings in my life, being raised in a home with a father who sold and used drugs, a mother who had to support her family on a waitress income, a father who abused his family, my experiences being sexually abused, the loss of my mother to murder, my father to confinement and later death, moving in with family that were alcoholics and abusive, being disowned for a while because of my choice to stand against that, BUT I don't dwell on those things. I KNOW that I am blest to be born in the Greatest Country in the world, The United States of America. That coming from a crazy childhood I could change my life, that I didn't have to remain in that lifestyle. This country gives us that opportunity,  I am grateful for those who have served and lost their lives for us, and those families that sacrifice so that we have service men and women serving now. To not have pride in this country diminishes their service, and their lives.

If you don't love America it's OK, but it does hurt my feelings a little when people go on and on about how much better other countries are than the USA, I feel like if it's so great move there, the grass is always greener somewhere else. Look for the good life, we are so blest and sometimes overlook the amazing lives we have, and how many people in other countries would love the opportunity to live our lives!

I have to say that I started this post a few months ago and am not sure what my thought process was at the time but this is something that I was thinking about just last night, so it worked out.

No comments: